Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Back to basics

Sometimes I get so caught up in my love for colour and patterns that I forget I also need basics in my wardrobe, you know, to balance out all of that stuff going on elsewhere. If I could I would wear patterns and colour head to toe, but I might be hauled off the streets and locked up ... so I don't.

Basics aren't very exciting though, are they? So I tend to not spend update those I already have. But even I have to admit that my white long sleeved t-shirt and it's black counterpart are looking shabby.

But salvation is near! Hubby is heading to the US next week , that land of cheap but quality basics. So I've been hitting the WWW (World Wide Wardrobe) and filling up a couple of baskets with purchases that have proved to me basic doesn't have to be boring.... so long as you can buy it from the comfort of your computer.

These delightful items will be returning to Australia in Hubby's luggage ... I just hope my other t-shirts can wait two weeks befor they decide to fall apart.

These are all from Loft - a great place to shop for well priced, good quality clothes. Sadly they don't ship to Australia (maybe soon, Loft people??) but they do cut their clothes very generously so I am an XS in their sizes. Woo hoo! And, um, is a purple dress a basic? Prehaps not but it is fun :)

________________________________________________________________________________

This afternoon I have some friends and their kids over (thanks to the NSW teachers strike no-one is at school) so I have made this DELICIOUS blueberry muffin bread. It's really, really good - you must try it. And don't skip the streusel bit because that is the best part - all cinnamon crunchy yummy-ness.

Oh yeah! We will be enjoying our afternoon tea today. This stuff is my new drug of choice ... replacing my previous coconut cake addiction.

Blueberry Muffin Bread


makes one 9×5 loaf

2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, tossed in a spoonful of cornstarch

streusel
1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan liberally with non-stick spray or grease with butter. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and baking powder, then set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk egg and sugar together until smooth. Whisk in vanilla extract, then add in milk and mix until combined. Add in dry ingredients slowing, mixing with a spoon until batter comes together. Add in melted butter and mix until incorporated, then stir in blueberries.

Mix together the streusel ingredients, bring it all together with your hands. Sprinkle over the bread evenly. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until bread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with butter!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't keep it to yourself - share your thoughts!